I did not follow any single recipe directly, but below I have linked the recipe I mostly based my deodorant off of. When I started working on this project, I researched some products you commonly buy at the store, such as shampoo and deodorant. Although this project was originally on cleaners, we decided to include some personal care items to hopefully keep people from putting these things on their bodies. Many of the ingredients in most commercial deodorants have been proven to be quite bad for you. Aluminum, the main anti perspirant in most store bought deodorants, has been linked to breast cancer, and alzheimer's. Many of the other ingredients have been linked to cancers, birth defects, and other health problems. Just keep in mind, this is a deodorant, not an antiperspirant. Sweating is good for your body though, and all antiperspirants do is block your pores, which causes you to sweat more. I have been using this for quite some time now, and have found that even when I forget to wear deodorant (which admit it happens sometimes), I have been sweating much less. I find that this actually smells quite good, and you can customize the smell however you like, or make it unscented. I currently store this product in a cleaned out lip balm tube, but a small container or old, cleaned out deodorant container work as well.
Ingredients:
Baking Soda: this is what does most of the deodorizing
Coconut Oil: to hold it all together
Arrowroot powder: this is mostly for consistency, I used a little bit of cornstarch instead
Essential Oil: This gives it it's scent, if you want unscented then just leave this out
Shea Butter: You can add this to give it a harder consistency, especially if you live in a warm area, as coconut oil is a bit too melty for hotter areas.
Make sure that you test a small amount of this product before using a lot of it. Some people react to baking soda, and if that is the case, then there are some recipes out there that have no baking soda in them.
This is the link to the recipe I based mine off of, It also includes a bit more information on the ingredients in store bought deodorant.
http://www.thankyourbody.com/homemade-deodorant/
No comments:
Post a Comment